Tuesday, July 29, 2014

cause you come swimming into view.


I slept like crap on Sunday night.

I predicted it, knowing myself inside and out and how excited I get about things. We'd had an exceptionally low-key Sunday after Carl finished mowing the lawn and the skies erupted with rain showers, so it made it that much harder to fall asleep after we'd been lazily thumbing through Netflix all afternoon and evening. This day - the day the felt like it was a million miles away, that would change so much - was finally here. Carl and I woke up to the alarm clock and dreary skies. We both sort of looked at each other with the childhood excitement reserved for Christmas morning, the kind that you can't wait to dive in but you're still saturated with lingering sleepiness.

We got up, took showers, fed the dogs, and went about our normal morning routine. My parents pulled up and before I knew it, we were off in the car to my appointment. The ride there was spent talking about what was to come - who had what guesses and why. We parked at the hospital and walked over to maternity. Then, we waited.

After a short while, my name was called, and we all headed back into the ultrasound - a full house.

One thing that really surprised me was where the baby was. I've been feeling my belly "harden" and more twisty type cramps down low, so I just assumed that's where the baby was hanging out. Come to find out, it was at my belly button. I had no idea the baby was so high up, especially because I'm not feeling anything yet. I made sure to drink something sugary beforehand so Baby R would be active and also so that we wouldn't get the dreaded, "Baby's legs are crossed! Can't see anything." Again, it's so surreal to see your baby be so active on screen and not feel anything.

I hadn't realized how detailed the Week 18 appointment is. They do lots of measurements, take lots of pictures, and look over a lot of the baby's growth. I was more than happy to oblige...I could have sat there all day watching. My dad in particular was amazed at how ultrasounds have come. He hasn't seen anything like it recently as his last one would have been in the mid-80's when my mom was pregnant with me. It was amazing to see them focus in on the chambers of the heart, the spinal cord, and each adorable little appendage.

Carl and I held hands as we watched each detail come into focus. And then..."it looks like you'll be having a baby girl," the tech said with a smile.

Oof, that squishy little belly
I was so caught off guard that I barely had time to react. Carl laughed in a knowing, proud sort of way, while tears came for me. I was so happy not just for the general happiness of a girl, but because my husband so very much wanted one. All of his future child-filled dreams and aspirations always left him with a girl in mind, so I know he is so excited.

And then my mom said the most sobering thing I have ever heard in my life.

"You have a daughter."

I have a daughter.

5 comments:

Lex said...

Congratulations, Momma! That's precious and that little girl will be so loved and spoiled! :)

K said...

Oh man, becoming a Mama has made me such a freaking softy. I'm all choked up. It's such an amazing thing to find out you are having a son or a daughter. I can't even imagine how surprised you were. I think I would have peed myself if I found out I was having a girl, I was SO sure like you were. I'm so so so excited for you guys! I can't wait to meet the little Reese's Pieces! (See what I did there?!)

Megan said...

First of all, congratulations! Second, I totally cried reading this! For some reason after seeing that picture of Carl all dolled up in dress up clothes, I just had this feeling that is was going to be a girl. I can't explain why, it was just one of those feelings. I am so incredibly excited for you guys!

MommyMandy Musings said...

Watching your husband with a daughter, is just the sweetest thing in the world. Bring on the pink and all those bows! Congrats momma:)

Kenya said...

Again, congratulations on your daughter!!!! So exciting. xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...